Preparing for & Handling Storm Damage
Storm Prep is Worth the Time
Each year, thunderstorms alone cause approximately $27 million in property damage. Summer and spring seasons are the most vulnerable to these destructive and frightening storms.
There are several ways to prepare your property for the summer.
- Always have an emergency kit with these items that you probably already have in your house: flashlight, battery powered weather radio, extra batteries to fit each electronic, non-perishable foods, lots of bottled water, can opener, first aid kit, fire extinguisher, blankets, extra clothes, sturdy shoes or boots, clock or watch, whistle to signal for help, and any important personal items and documents.
- Know the safest structure of your home to go to during a severe storm such as a basement, underground cellar, or even the most inner part of your home away from windows.
- Get routine maintenance on your roof and the foundation. Cracks in the roof are the number one leading cause to flooding damage.
- Cut down any unwanted trees or limbs and get your trees trimmed before summer storm season. Trees and branches can fall on your property and damage the siding, windows, and roof.
- Contact your insurance company to be more familiar with your policy. Most home insurers do not cover flooding damage.
- Keep all expensive and favored possessions off the floor and away from low ground in case of flooding.
- Keep all patio furniture, grills, etc. in doors before a summer storm hits. Do not forget to part your vehicles in the garage.
- Finally, take those summer storm warnings and alerts seriously, especially tornado warnings. Tornadoes can lead to total property loss and even death.
Stay Safe During a Storm
We have experienced quite the rainy and stormy summer so far, and with these storms comes a risk of personal and property damage. Keeping yourself and your loved ones safe during a storm is the top priority, so here are a few tips to help you for the rest of the summer:
- Remain indoors. This can be inside your home or the home of a neighbor if need be. If you are outdoors, seek shelter at a local business, or a public restroom. Public restrooms in parks are typically built to be storm proof. Should there be no other options, sheltering in your car should keep you safe and dry as you wait out the storm.
- Stay away from windows. The safest place to be during a storm is a basement. If your house doesn’t have a basement, bathrooms are a good choice as well.
- Try to stay away from appliances. Avoid showering or talking on a wired phone during a storm. Lightening can travel through plumbing fixtures or home wiring, so avoid using your washer and dryer during a storm. Lightning strikes can cause those appliances to short and catch fire.
- Once the storm has passed, be cautious when walking around, especially outside. Be alert for down powerlines and tree branches. If you smell gas, be sure to contact authorities immediately.
Storms can be scary to witness, but following these steps can help to put your mind at ease during the next one. If you find that a storm has caused damage, feel free to call SERVPRO of Northern Lorain County today and let the experts take care of it!
SERVPRO of Northern Lorain County is Ready for All of Your Storm Needs
If you have experienced any type of storm damage, whether it be from flooding or water damage, the experienced Storm Team at SERVPRO of Northern Lorain County will be there for you. Although we are an Ohio based franchise, we prepare in advance for expected damage from any storm anywhere in the United States! We respond quickly, too, because we know that immediate action and a fast response lessens damage, limits further damage, and reduces restoration costs. Our professionally trained crews have the specialized equipment and resources needed to handle the job, large or small, residential and commercial. Our teams strategically prepare ahead of the storm and place equipment at the best locations in case of flood or storm emergency. With several certifications and over 50 years of experience, you can rest assured that we are perfectly equipped to deal with any storm job no matter the size. Choose SERVPRO of Northern Lorain County a company that specializes in storm and flood damage restoration. We are Here to Help® and are ready to respond when Mother Nature strikes.